So tonight Tom goes downstairs to get something and I hear “SONOFABITCH!” Then a moment later: “I’m going to need some help down here…” I can’t for the life of me imagine what it might be…and then I rounded the corner and saw it.
Red nail polish (actually, OPI’s “I’m Not Really A Waitress” if you must know) and broken glass splattered ALL over the kitchen tile floor! Damn giblets had apparently been up on the island and knocked it off. Yes, I know it was my fault for leaving it there, but damn if it hasn’t been there for a week beforehand with no issues. I hope they were all scared shitless when it happened! That said, thankfully no one had traipsed through it, so we didn’t have to worry about cleaning kitty feet (the dog was with us), the rest of the kitchen, or the carpet.
Anyway, I know nail polish remover probably wasn’t the best thing for the finish on the tiles, but what else can you do when you’re in a major hurry to get it cleaned up (it was already half dry)? I also had to call a neighbor to borrow some because I only had a half bottle. So we started scrubbing and of course the polish came off the tiles beautifully, but the grout is forever stained.
I’m guessing we have to bleach the grout, but we’re going to have to research exactly the best way to do this. If it was just a little spot, I would try using a Clorox bleach pen, but there’s probably (conservatively) ten full inches of 1/4″ grout that needs bleaching. (Dad? Help!)
Of course, we had recently been talking about bleaching the grout anyway (because it should have been sealed by the builder, but of course it wasn’t) as there had been some miscellaneous kitchen spills we wanted to take care of. Then we were going to use Rejuvenate (seen on QVC and infomercials) to protect the floor. So, the timeline for this project has just moved up a little…
I know, I know…the animals are slowly but surely preparing us for the joys of parenthood.